FIQWS- Fall 2020

Self Reflection

Looking back at my journal entry from the start of the semester, I have written what I aim to achieve by the end of the semester. I believe I have achieved most of my goals. The first goal I set was to learn more about the culture of Harlem. At first, all I know about Harlem was a place with high crime, drug sales, and a black community. By now, I have learned more than these, especially Harlem’s Gentrification, one of my favorite topics to hope to reach out more. The other goal was to have some process on my writing skill. In the first place, I wasn’t a good writer since English wasn’t my first language, which was difficult for me to use this language and improve my writing skill. After taking FIQWS English Component, I felt I had learned various writing struggles and improved little by little throughout each of the assignments I have done in the class. The most meaningful assignment for me was the Summary and Response Essay, which was one of the parts that helped me achieve my goal. In the assignment, I learned the history of Harlem and the writer, Langston Hughes. His article about Harlem was a touching story for me, which led me to explore more and create visual art to respond to his essay. Throughout this assignment, I learned more about Harlem, how to use rhetorical situations to summarize the text and use my art skill to develop the creative component, which became one of my favorite assignments throughout the course.